New Song - Stress Test 64
Glennbo
2016-10-18 15:42:51 UTC
My first sixty four bit song! I really don't have enough big sampled
instruments to even come close to running my four gig machine out of
memory, so for this song, I loaded up the fattest jazz drum kit I
could and did crazy stuff like turn on three distances of room mics.
Then I loaded up my largest grand piano plus an upright grand piano.

To finish it up, I played real 5-String bass, and my semi-hollow blue
Oscar Schmidt jazz guitar with the wound G-String to keep it jazzy.

I call this one "Stress Test 64". :-)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=10481&songID=13468444
--
Remove YourHeadFromYourAss to Reply by email
________ __
Hear My Music http://www.soundclick.com/ThePseudonyms
BobF
That sounds waaaaaay betterer than your 32 bit songs!!
Glennbo
2016-10-18 18:31:32 UTC
In news:nu5hnt$ju0$***@dont-email.me the killer robot BobF
<***@spam.can> grabbed the controls of the spaceship cakewalk.audio
and pressed these buttons...
Post by BobF
Post by Glennbo
My first sixty four bit song! I really don't have enough big sampled
instruments to even come close to running my four gig machine out of
memory, so for this song, I loaded up the fattest jazz drum kit I
could and did crazy stuff like turn on three distances of room mics.
Then I loaded up my largest grand piano plus an upright grand piano.
To finish it up, I played real 5-String bass, and my semi-hollow blue
Oscar Schmidt jazz guitar with the wound G-String to keep it jazzy.
I call this one "Stress Test 64". :-)
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=10481&songID=13468444
That sounds waaaaaay betterer than your 32 bit songs!!
Well it should. It uses more memory than any other song I've ever done! ;)

Some particulars about this project.

It used a whopping 2281MB of my 4GB RAM, leaving 807MB free for other BIG
sampled instruments that I don't have. Guess I need to buy some now. <g>

Also, I used Rea plugins for EQ, compressor, and multiband compressor,
replacing my normal 32 bit DX plugins, Timeworks EQ, CompressorX, and
Sonitus Multiband. In place of my normal db-Audio mastering limiter, I
used the W1 limiter by George Yohng, which has been compared sonically
to the Waves L1. It is transparent and brickwalls like my old db-Audio.

What I'm liking about the Rea plugs that I am sort of forced to use if
I'm going to record 64 bit projects, and can't use my Timeworks plugins.

The ReaComp has controls in it's detection circuit that let you set an
upper and lower frequency, which I found to be extremely useful on the
guitar track I recorded. The higher frequency notes were a lot louder
than the lower frequency ones, so I set the detection to react only
when the frequency was above 3000Hz. This made it so no compression was
happening on lower notes, but kicked in the higher I went up the neck.

The ReaEQ has some things I like better than Timeworks EQ, but I miss
the spectrum display from Timeworks. I could really read that and see
what needed fixing, and the display in ReaEQ is OK, but I' going to
have to get used to how to see what's going on with it. Something I
really DO like a LOT about it, is that I can add an infinite number
of bands to it, rather than being a fixed number like Timeworks.

ReaXcomp is a very usable multiband limiter, and like ReaEQ allows you
to add as many bands as you like. It's functionally the same as the
Sonitus Multiband, but the display and controls are different which
will take me a cool minute to get used to.

I'm going to try and use more of the native Rea plugs in place of my
usual picks, as they seem to be very capable, and even have a few new
tricks up their sleeve that my older plugins don't have.
BobF
I REALLY like SONAR's PC EQ. It wish it was a POVst though.
Glennbo
2016-10-18 22:48:01 UTC
In news:nu5vll$av6$***@dont-email.me the killer robot BobF
Post by BobF
Post by Glennbo
Post by BobF
Post by Glennbo
[...]
If Reaper's ReaEQ had a segmented analyser display, I would be totally
comfortable with it. Just being able to see which band something is
sticking way out, or missing on always helped me dial in the EQ. I'll get
used to the logrithmic display, but it will take me a little while to learn
how to spot the problem frequency again.
John Braner
2016-10-19 08:59:00 UTC
Post by Glennbo
My first sixty four bit song! I really don't have enough big sampled
instruments to even come close to running my four gig machine out of
memory, so for this song, I loaded up the fattest jazz drum kit I
could and did crazy stuff like turn on three distances of room mics.
Then I loaded up my largest grand piano plus an upright grand piano.
To finish it up, I played real 5-String bass, and my semi-hollow blue
Oscar Schmidt jazz guitar with the wound G-String to keep it jazzy.
I call this one "Stress Test 64". :-)
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=10481&songID=13468444
I like the song.

64 bit is the way to go - it may not sound *twice* as good, but the fact that you can load bigger
drum kits and instruments is going to help ;-)

Also - there is something to be said for all of us to be forced in to using different eqs and
compressors (and saturators etc) sometimes. That can make things sound different, and maybe even
*better* too ;-)

Back to the song - it does have some nice room in between instruments, and sounds really good. I'm
sure this could be accomplished in 32 bit though ;-)
--
===========
John Braner

http://cdbaby.com/cd/JohnBraner2
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner
Glennbo
2016-10-19 13:41:54 UTC
In news:nu7ckl$76h$***@news.albasani.net the killer robot John Braner
<***@myhouse.com> grabbed the controls of the spaceship cakewalk.audio
and pressed these buttons...
Post by John Braner
Post by Glennbo
My first sixty four bit song! I really don't have enough big sampled
instruments to even come close to running my four gig machine out of
memory, so for this song, I loaded up the fattest jazz drum kit I
could and did crazy stuff like turn on three distances of room mics.
Then I loaded up my largest grand piano plus an upright grand piano.
To finish it up, I played real 5-String bass, and my semi-hollow blue
Oscar Schmidt jazz guitar with the wound G-String to keep it jazzy.
I call this one "Stress Test 64". :-)
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=10481&songID=13468444
I like the song.
Thanks John!
Post by John Braner
64 bit is the way to go - it may not sound *twice* as good, but the
fact that you can load bigger drum kits and instruments is going to
help ;-)
This song used the most memory for drums of any I've ever done. The
kit sucked up 1.2GB of memory. My normal go to Ludwig kit is only
about 512MB, and sounds the way I wanted it to sound. I'm sure I
could make it use more memory, just like I did on this one. In real
world use, I wouldn't turn on three different distances of room mics.
Mostly because they fight each other, and make a muddy sound, but for
these jazz drums that might be a desirable trait. :-)
Post by John Braner
Also - there is something to be said for all of us to be forced in to
using different eqs and compressors (and saturators etc) sometimes.
That can make things sound different, and maybe even *better* too ;-)
I'm sure I'll get used to using different plugs, but at least I now
have my 32 bit version of DAW software working, and only lost one of
my favorite suites of DX plugins there. I can always fall back to 32
bit if I can't get the sound or effect I know I've done in the past.
Post by John Braner
Back to the song - it does have some nice room in between instruments,
and sounds really good. I'm sure this could be accomplished in 32 bit
though ;-)
I really could NOT have done this exact song in 32 bit though, because
just the drums and grand piano would have run me out of memory on a 32
bit system. I was previously able to load the jazz drums and grand, but
if I started enabling all the room mics, which with the long decay drum
sound eats memory like a pig, I would have crashed the DAW.
Max
2016-10-19 18:30:31 UTC
Nice new photo of you on soundclick! Looks like retirement is making your
hair stand on end LOL!! Just kidding.
Glad you finally got you 64 bit setup working! Very odd song sounds 32bit
better (:

Max Arwood
Glennbo
2016-10-19 23:35:05 UTC
In news:nu8e3k$jpf$***@dont-email.me the killer robot "Max"
<***@arwoodsNospamjewelry.com> grabbed the controls of the spaceship
Post by Max
Nice new photo of you on soundclick! Looks like retirement is making
your hair stand on end LOL!! Just kidding.
Firing up my DAW 32bit on Win64 for the first time, and finding the every
one of my songs would crash the DAW was what made me look like that! ;)
Post by Max
Glad you finally got you 64 bit setup working!
Turned out out to be one suite of DX plugins that I used extensively that
was making the DAW crash. Since uninstalling them, I can load all my old
songs again in 32bit, and only receive errors about the missing plugins.

Going forward, I plan to try to use my DAW in 64 bit and live without some
of my long time favorite plugins. If it bugs me too much, I can always go
back to 32 bit and will only be missing one suite of paid for plugins.
Hehe, it should sound about a 625 megabytes better, because that's about
much bigger the drum kit is vs. my usual Ludwig kit of drums. :-)
polymod
2016-10-20 15:45:59 UTC
"Glennbo" wrote in message news:***@213.239.209.88...

My first sixty four bit song! I really don't have enough big sampled
instruments to even come close to running my four gig machine out of
memory, so for this song, I loaded up the fattest jazz drum kit I
could and did crazy stuff like turn on three distances of room mics.
Then I loaded up my largest grand piano plus an upright grand piano.

To finish it up, I played real 5-String bass, and my semi-hollow blue
Oscar Schmidt jazz guitar with the wound G-String to keep it jazzy.

I call this one "Stress Test 64". :-)

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=10481&songID=13468444
Sounds great bro....glad you got everything up and running.

And thanks again for the newsgroup reader suggestion.!

Poly
Glennbo
2016-10-20 16:30:05 UTC
In news:nuaor1$g0l$***@dont-email.me the killer robot "polymod"
<***@optonline.net> grabbed the controls of the spaceship
Post by Glennbo
My first sixty four bit song! I really don't have enough big sampled
instruments to even come close to running my four gig machine out of
memory, so for this song, I loaded up the fattest jazz drum kit I
could and did crazy stuff like turn on three distances of room mics.
Then I loaded up my largest grand piano plus an upright grand piano.
To finish it up, I played real 5-String bass, and my semi-hollow blue
Oscar Schmidt jazz guitar with the wound G-String to keep it jazzy.
I call this one "Stress Test 64". :-)
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=10481&songID=1
3468444
Sounds great bro....glad you got everything up and running.
And thanks again for the newsgroup reader suggestion.!
Thanks Poly! This song proved to me that I can now throw as many bleed
channels or room mics on for any drum kit I currently have. I put more of
that stuff on this one that I would have in a real world scenaro, but I was
trying to stress the system out. Just the jazz kit with a couple layers of
room mics and a sampled grand piano would have run me out of memory before.

Glad to see you got the newsgroups configured and working. It's funny
because before you emailed me this morning, I had just done a lookup to see
when your last post was, which was last Sunday, because I though you might
have crashed your new system or something and were busy trying to get it
working again. Glad it wasn't that! :-)
polymod