SONG: Roundabout
John Braner
2016-06-02 16:35:55 UTC

I've got a new one here:
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13389264

This one is a ballad, and it contains some of the usual suspects:
Trilian Acoustic Bass
A little bit of Superior Drums
Some real guitars
and a few Omnisphere noises...

Hmm... looks like there some songs I need to listen to - too ;-)
--
===========
John Braner

http://cdbaby.com/cd/JohnBraner
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner
Glennbo
2016-06-02 18:06:54 UTC
In news:nipn9c$q39$***@dont-email.me the killer robot John Braner
<***@myhouse.com> grabbed the controls of the spaceship cakewalk.audio and
pressed these buttons...
Post by John Braner
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13389264
Trilian Acoustic Bass
A little bit of Superior Drums
Some real guitars
and a few Omnisphere noises...
Hmm... looks like there some songs I need to listen to - too ;-)
That bass sounds reely cool! The whole production sounds really great
John. My only suggestion would be to put a convolution reverb, like Perfect
Space on your master fader, with a small to medium room sound dialed back,
just to get the whole band in the same space. Some instruments sound too
dry IMHO, but other than that I think this song is fantastic, and your best
one I've heard yet!
--
Remove YourHeadFromYourAss to Reply by email
________ __
Hear My Music http://www.soundclick.com/ThePseudonyms
polymod

Poly
John Braner
2016-06-03 08:37:56 UTC
Post by Glennbo
pressed these buttons...
Post by John Braner
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13389264
Trilian Acoustic Bass
A little bit of Superior Drums
Some real guitars
and a few Omnisphere noises...
Hmm... looks like there some songs I need to listen to - too ;-)
That bass sounds reely cool! The whole production sounds really great
John. My only suggestion would be to put a convolution reverb, like Perfect
Space on your master fader, with a small to medium room sound dialed back,
just to get the whole band in the same space. Some instruments sound too
dry IMHO, but other than that I think this song is fantastic, and your best
one I've heard yet!
I agree!
Poly
Thanks for the comments guys. I know this has been mentioned before, and I have a nice 2C Audio
Aether "room" on an aux buss - but I can't make myself make it "wetter" ;-)

I do like some of the "noises" dry though... ;-)
--
===========

Glennbo
2016-06-03 14:05:54 UTC
In news:nirfl6$72r$***@dont-email.me the killer robot John Braner
Post by John Braner
Post by Glennbo
My only suggestion would be to put a convolution reverb,
like Perfect Space on your master fader, with a small to medium room
sound dialed back, just to get the whole band in the same space.
I can't make myself make it "wetter" ;-)
I wasn't suggesting verb that has a tail, in case you thought that's what I
meant. I was talking about a "room" sound, which isn't really identifiable
as reverb. The new song Poly and I did, I used Perfect Space with the
impulse from "Noise Vault" called "Main Room", which is a room in a real
studio. You can only tell that it is there, by doing an A/B bypass, while
the song is rolling, otherwise it's not noticable, other than it puts the
band together, and makes them less in different sounding spaces.
John Braner
2016-06-03 16:59:39 UTC
Post by Glennbo
and pressed these buttons...
Post by John Braner
Post by Glennbo
My only suggestion would be to put a convolution reverb,
like Perfect Space on your master fader, with a small to medium room
sound dialed back, just to get the whole band in the same space.
I can't make myself make it "wetter" ;-)
I wasn't suggesting verb that has a tail, in case you thought that's what I
meant. I was talking about a "room" sound, which isn't really identifiable
as reverb. The new song Poly and I did, I used Perfect Space with the
impulse from "Noise Vault" called "Main Room", which is a room in a real
studio. You can only tell that it is there, by doing an A/B bypass, while
the song is rolling, otherwise it's not noticable, other than it puts the
band together, and makes them less in different sounding spaces.
Hi G'bo,
I *think* I get what you're saying, and I do have a nice (recording studio) "room" on the aux buss -
and (almost) all the tracks have a send to it...

but I can't make myself bring the send fader up any higher ;-)

I just don't like it ;-)

I'm willing to admit that that's my "issue" though... ;-)
--
===========

Glennbo
2016-06-03 17:22:54 UTC
In news:nisd20$d9j$***@dont-email.me the killer robot John Braner
Post by John Braner
I *think* I get what you're saying, and I do have a nice (recording
studio) "room" on the aux buss - and (almost) all the tracks have a
send to it...
Key word here I think, is *almost*. About five years ago someone here made
the suggestion to me, about getting all the parts of one of my songs onto
the same soundstage. I played around with the concept, and now every mix I
do has Perfect Space on the *master* fader, so that every part goes through
it with no exceptions. Your mix sounds fine, and it's just that to my ears
there were a couple times that some instruments sounded like they were all
alone, and not gelling in with the rest of the band on the sound stage.
John Braner
2016-06-04 08:47:35 UTC
Post by Glennbo
and pressed these buttons...
Post by John Braner
I *think* I get what you're saying, and I do have a nice (recording
studio) "room" on the aux buss - and (almost) all the tracks have a
send to it...
Key word here I think, is *almost*. About five years ago someone here made
the suggestion to me, about getting all the parts of one of my songs onto
the same soundstage. I played around with the concept, and now every mix I
do has Perfect Space on the *master* fader, so that every part goes through
it with no exceptions. Your mix sounds fine, and it's just that to my ears
there were a couple times that some instruments sounded like they were all
alone, and not gelling in with the rest of the band on the sound stage.
OK thanks. I was just verifying that we're talking about the same thing ;-)

So a verb on the master buss is really the same thing as using an aux buss for *all* the tracks.
I'll admit that I like to keep some of the synths and "noises" dry though - I'm not going for a
"realistic" sound ;-)
--
===========

polymod
2016-06-04 14:33:01 UTC
Post by Glennbo
and pressed these buttons...
Post by John Braner
[...]

If the effect is used correctly, you won't get a sense of anything being
"wet".
Your just looking to get a coat on everything, but keeping it done very
subtly so you don't necessarily hear it, but you can feel it when it's
dialed in just right.

Poly
Glennbo
2016-06-04 15:08:08 UTC
In news:BEB4z.300$***@fx27.iad the killer robot "polymod"
<***@optonline.net> grabbed the controls of the spaceship
Post by John Braner
Post by Glennbo
Post by John Braner
[...]
I've always said that if you can *hear* verb, then you have way too much.
I used to think that long lush reverb tails were desirable, but nowadays
unless I'm looking to use that as a special effect, I wouldn't use it for
anything, as it will only muddy a mix and take away from the definition.

OTOH, I've learned to love room sounds. The old Lexicon Pantheon has some
fantastic room simulations, which I like to use on things like guitar and
acoustic instruments. On the master buss, I like to use Perfect Space
rooms. Particularly the short quick ones, that don't sound at all like a
reverb, yet smooth out the harsh and sterile sounding edges off of things.
John Braner
2016-06-04 18:17:12 UTC
Post by John Braner
Post by Glennbo
Post by John Braner
[...]
Amen to that.
Post by Glennbo
I used to think that long lush reverb tails were desirable, but nowadays
unless I'm looking to use that as a special effect, I wouldn't use it for
anything, as it will only muddy a mix and take away from the definition.
me too...
Post by Glennbo
OTOH, I've learned to love room sounds. The old Lexicon Pantheon has some
fantastic room simulations, which I like to use on things like guitar and
acoustic instruments. On the master buss, I like to use Perfect Space
rooms. Particularly the short quick ones, that don't sound at all like a
reverb, yet smooth out the harsh and sterile sounding edges off of things.
I just did the reverberate upgrade - that's a great convolver too. It has a new thing called
"fusion-ir" which seems to be using a bunch of IRs and interpolating between them (or whatever).
They also have some nice "fusion-ir" versions of Bricasti M7 impulses - so I think I'll try it on my
next masterpiece ;-)
--
===========

John Braner
2016-06-04 18:12:19 UTC
Post by John Braner
Post by Glennbo
and pressed these buttons...
Post by John Braner
[...]
sorry - that's actually what I meant ;-)
I just used the word "wet" for turning the send up a little higher. what you hear in my tunes is my
idea of "enough" reverb - so I think we're all on the same page here ;-)

now if this was still the 80's...
;-)
--
===========

Dash
2016-06-04 18:45:41 UTC
Post by John Braner
now if this was still the 80's...
;-)
We would all be using too much of the Lexicon 224 Digital Reverb.
--
-

"Opinions are like ears, and most every one has two of them and no two
ears are alike so what sounds one way to some might sound another way to
others. I call it the Earprint Principle." DR (That's me.)
Glennbo
2016-06-04 18:54:09 UTC
In news:niv7kk$hvl$***@dont-email.me the killer robot Dash <-@nospam.dot>
grabbed the controls of the spaceship cakewalk.audio and pressed these
buttons...
Post by Dash
Post by John Braner
now if this was still the 80's...
;-)
We would all be using too much of the Lexicon 224 Digital Reverb.
Hehe, if it were still the 80s, I would be using a Tapco 4400 Spring Reverb,

and a Roland Space Echo!!!

Glennbo
2016-06-04 14:58:19 UTC
In news:niu4j9$n93$***@dont-email.me the killer robot John Braner
Post by John Braner
So a verb on the master buss is really the same thing as using an aux
buss for *all* the tracks.
It would only be the same thing if all FX sends were set identically. When
the room sound is on the master, then every part is on the same sound
stage, but if you do it on a buss, then some parts might be on the stage,
while other parts are back stage, or off the stage to the side.
Post by John Braner
I'll admit that I like to keep some of the synths and "noises" dry though
- I'm not going for a "realistic" sound
;-)
It's all a matter of personal preference, and I was only saying what I
would do to the otherwise totally fine sounding mix. Don't worry about it.
John Braner
2016-06-04 18:14:00 UTC
Post by Glennbo
and pressed these buttons...
Post by John Braner
So a verb on the master buss is really the same thing as using an aux
buss for *all* the tracks.
It would only be the same thing if all FX sends were set identically. When
the room sound is on the master, then every part is on the same sound
stage, but if you do it on a buss, then some parts might be on the stage,
while other parts are back stage, or off the stage to the side.
That's true - and the buss is panned too... ;-)
Post by Glennbo
Post by John Braner
I'll admit that I like to keep some of the synths and "noises" dry though
- I'm not going for a "realistic" sound
;-)
It's all a matter of personal preference, and I was only saying what I
would do to the otherwise totally fine sounding mix. Don't worry about it.
Oh I wasn't worrying - I *love* talking about this, and getting different opinions ;-)
--
===========

John Braner
2016-06-03 17:01:05 UTC
On 03/06/2016 15:05, Glennbo wrote:

PS - I do appreciate the advice though. ;-)

I'll be able to redo these tracks when I'm ready for a CD - so I can try putting a little more
"room" on them...
--
===========

John Braner
2016-06-03 08:38:47 UTC
Post by Glennbo
pressed these buttons...
Post by John Braner
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13389264
Trilian Acoustic Bass
A little bit of Superior Drums
Some real guitars
and a few Omnisphere noises...
Hmm... looks like there some songs I need to listen to - too ;-)
That bass sounds reely cool! The whole production sounds really great
John. My only suggestion would be to put a convolution reverb, like Perfect
Space on your master fader, with a small to medium room sound dialed back,
just to get the whole band in the same space. Some instruments sound too
dry IMHO, but other than that I think this song is fantastic, and your best
one I've heard yet!
I agree!
Poly
PS - I think the Trilian Acoustic Bass makes anything sound great ;-)
--
===========

polymod
2016-06-02 19:13:54 UTC
"John Braner" wrote in message news:nipn9c$q39$***@dont-email.me...

Hi,

I've got a new one here:
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13389264
Top notch John! I really like this one a lot. Soundtrack/movie material.
When you don't want a song to end is when you know it's good.
Bravo!

Poly
John Braner
2016-06-03 08:39:07 UTC
Post by John Braner
Hi,
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13389264
Top notch John! I really like this one a lot. Soundtrack/movie material.
When you don't want a song to end is when you know it's good.
Bravo!
Poly
Gracias Poly ;-)
--
===========

Dash
2016-06-02 20:18:30 UTC
Post by John Braner
Hi,
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13389264
Trilian Acoustic Bass
A little bit of Superior Drums
Some real guitars
and a few Omnisphere noises...
Hmm... looks like there some songs I need to listen to - too ;-)
Real nice one there John. Only your title is a little bit unoriginal
especially with you being across the pond and all. I could swear there
was once a very popular song done with the same name me thinks. I think
the band was called NO but no biggy, there are a lot of songs named the
same.

Your friend, -
--
-

John Braner
2016-06-03 08:42:49 UTC
Post by John Braner
Hi,
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13389264
Trilian Acoustic Bass
A little bit of Superior Drums
Some real guitars
and a few Omnisphere noises...
Hmm... looks like there some songs I need to listen to - too ;-)
Real nice one there John. Only your title is a little bit unoriginal especially with you being
across the pond and all. I could swear there was once a very popular song done with the same name me
thinks. I think the band was called NO but no biggy, there are a lot of songs named the same.
Your friend, -
Thanks for bringing that up Dash ;-)
You know - I honestly forgot about that. I was just thinking about it the other day and remembered -
"Oh yeah - there was a Yes song with that name..."

I just picked roundabout (yes I'm on this side of the pond) because that cool soundtoys reverse echo
sounded like it was going "around and around..." ;-)

Oh well - if more than a few of my friends start to listen to this, and if someone actually ever
pays for it - maybe Yes will sue me and I'll get famous ;-)
--
===========

Michael
2016-06-02 20:22:45 UTC
Post by John Braner
Hi,
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13389264
Trilian Acoustic Bass
A little bit of Superior Drums
Some real guitars
and a few Omnisphere noises...
Beautiful! I can even forgive the inadvertently stolen title for such a
sweet piece of music done so well. :-)
Go do that, John. Worth your time, in spades. :-)
John Braner
2016-06-03 08:46:12 UTC
Post by Michael
Post by John Braner
Hi,
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13389264
Trilian Acoustic Bass
A little bit of Superior Drums
Some real guitars
and a few Omnisphere noises...
Beautiful! I can even forgive the inadvertently stolen title for such a
sweet piece of music done so well. :-)
Thanks Michael - I honestly did forget about that title being used already (see above) ;-)
Post by Michael
Post by John Braner
Hmm... looks like there some songs I need to listen to - too ;-)
Go do that, John. Worth your time, in spades. :-)
Yeah - I do forget to come here sometimes. I thought there were more than the Glennbo/Poly one that
I hadn't heard, but the other ones were older and I *had* heard them already. So I got lucky as
"Summer Funk" was just put up ;-)
--