New Song - What Lies Ahead
Glennbo
2016-10-30 19:42:34 UTC
Pick a candidate, they all suck. What lies ahead is a play on words.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=5672&songID=13474815

Lyrics:

Telling me all you're gonna do for me
I don't believe a word you say
Promising to bring about change
Delivering us more of the same
Empty space inside your head
There's no trusting you

What lies ahead
Only time will tell
We don't believe
Fairy tales you sell

Hoping that things will be OK
I close my eyes again to pray
Future looking oh so dark
It's near the end and things are stark

What have you got for me today
More empty words for you to say
Promising to bring about change
Delivering us more of the same
Say what you think we might believe
There's no trusting you

What lies ahead
Only time will tell
We don't believe
Fairy tales you sell
--
Remove YourHeadFromYourAss to Reply by email
________ __
Hear My Music http://www.soundclick.com/ThePseudonyms
Dash
2016-10-30 20:32:38 UTC
Post by Glennbo
[...]
It is also a play on guitar, bass and drums. <g> I hope you got some
healthy therapeutic venting out while recording it. :-)

The song wouldn't play on my Android phone. Listened to it just now on
my puter though and then "Around the Corner" came on immediately
following and I am now listening to that again as I type this.
--
-

"Opinions are like ears, and most everyone has two of them and no two
ears are alike so what sounds one way to some might sound another way to
others. I call it the Earprint Principle." DR (That's me.)
Glennbo
2016-10-30 20:57:25 UTC
In news:nv5lcd$mdp$***@dont-email.me the killer robot Dash <-@nospam.dot>
grabbed the controls of the spaceship cakewalk.audio and pressed these
buttons...
Post by Dash
Post by Glennbo
[...]
Sho 'nuff! I kept it simple. One bass, two guitars, drums, and vocals.
Post by Dash
I hope you got some healthy therapeutic venting out while recording it.
:-)
Got some of that, and got a drum mix I can use as a starting point for
future projects. I saved the drum channels as a template for later, since I
had to use mostly new and unfamiliar plugins. :-)
Post by Dash
The song wouldn't play on my Android phone.
Interseting. You don't have the Soundclick App installed do you, coz now
that they are doing HTML5 I don't think you need an app any more.
Post by Dash
Listened to it just now on
my puter though and then "Around the Corner" came on immediately
following and I am now listening to that again as I type this.
It sounds more "64 bit" to me. <g>
Dash
2016-10-31 00:25:43 UTC
Post by Glennbo
Post by Dash
The song wouldn't play on my Android phone.
Interseting. You don't have the Soundclick App installed do you, coz now
that they are doing HTML5 I don't think you need an app any more.
No Soundclick App on my phone. Everything pops up with all your songs
and pics and looks ready to play but they don't.
-
Glennbo
2016-10-31 15:55:32 UTC
In news:nv631e$24b$***@dont-email.me the killer robot Dash <-@nospam.dot>
Post by Dash
Post by Glennbo
Post by Dash
The song wouldn't play on my Android phone.
Interseting. You don't have the Soundclick App installed do you, coz now
that they are doing HTML5 I don't think you need an app any more.
No Soundclick App on my phone. Everything pops up with all your songs
and pics and looks ready to play but they don't.
They are making changes to the site there at Soundclick, so maybe that has
something to do with it. The songs all play OK on my Blackberry, but I have
it's browser set to ID itself as Internet Explorer, for higher
compatibility with websites out there. Also so they don't try to deliver
mobile format pages to me. I prefer it to look the same between phone and
desktop web browsers.
Dash
2016-11-06 21:20:30 UTC
Post by Dash
Post by Glennbo
[...]
following and I am now listening to that again as I type this.me.)
The song wouldn't play on my Android phone.
The song *now* plays on Mr. DR's Android cellphone without his former
workaround. He never said I could not use his cell phone.

Nurse Betty
Glennbo
2016-11-06 22:52:35 UTC
In news:nvo6q2$dor$***@dont-email.me the killer robot Dash <-@nospam.dot>
Post by Dash
Post by Dash
Post by Glennbo
[...]
I had my kid try playing it on his top of the line Android phone when he
was here Saturday, and it played first try for him. I think Soundclick may
still be making adjustments to the switchover. They've only been doing
HTML5 for about a week now.
Max
Glennbo
2016-10-30 20:59:54 UTC
In news:nv5m36$oor$***@dont-email.me the killer robot "Max"
<***@arwoodsNospamjewelry.com> grabbed the controls of the spaceship
Post by Max
Nice! Love the words, bass, retro tremolo and everything!
I haven't had time to go finished the soundclick research
iPhone/compyter HTML5/Java.
Thanks Max! :-)

I did the guitar tremolo with my foot on a volume pedal on this one.
Max Arwood
2016-10-31 15:34:36 UTC
Foot tremolo? How's that ankle doing? Just kidding. Nice song.

new addition to AutoHotKey
::compyter::computer

Max

Glennbo
2016-10-31 16:00:37 UTC
In news:nv7o9l$nbm$***@dont-email.me the killer robot "Max Arwood"
<***@spamarwoods.com> grabbed the controls of the spaceship
Post by Max Arwood
Foot tremolo? How's that ankle doing? Just kidding. Nice song.
Thanks Max. Since I'm a drummer, my right foot is used to pedalling for
the entire duration of songs, so my ankle made it through the track OK. ;)
Post by Max Arwood
new addition to AutoHotKey
::compyter::computer
Hehe, I hate it when auto-werd-correction tries to *fix* my intentional
mis-speellings. <g>
Max
Max

Glennbo
2016-11-01 22:15:56 UTC
In news:nvabif$kdg$***@dont-email.me the killer robot "Max"
Post by Max
Wow never thought about that! Tremolo to the beat!!
I could have probable found a plug that would sync to the song, but it
was a lot quicker to just do it by foot to make it in sync. :-)
Post by Max
Post by Max Arwood
new addition to AutoHotKey
::compyter::computer
Hehe, I hate it when auto-werd-correction tries to *fix* my
intentional mis-speellings. <g>
Max
BobF
Fairy tales you sell
Max
Fairy tales you sell
Glennbo
2016-10-31 16:06:12 UTC
In news:nv67ll$cnd$***@dont-email.me the killer robot BobF
<***@spam.can> grabbed the controls of the spaceship cakewalk.audio
and pressed these buttons...
Post by BobF
Cool one for the times, Gman. Congrats on hitting a full 3 minutes too ;)
Thanks Bob! I tried to leave it non-specific enough to still be a valid
song about politicians in general long after the election is over. Just
change the song picture, and it could be about most any of them. :-)
BobF
2016-10-31 17:01:09 UTC
Post by Glennbo
and pressed these buttons...
Post by BobF
Cool one for the times, Gman. Congrats on hitting a full 3 minutes too ;)
Thanks Bob! I tried to leave it non-specific enough to still be a valid
song about politicians in general long after the election is over. Just
change the song picture, and it could be about most any of them. :-)
Great going. You can whip this one for mid-terms, locals ... ANY election.
Fairy tales you sell
Glennbo
2016-10-31 20:22:23 UTC
In news:nv7tbq$ar4$***@dont-email.me the killer robot BobF
Post by BobF
Post by Glennbo
Post by BobF
Cool one for the times, Gman. Congrats on hitting a full 3 minutes too ;)
Thanks Bob! I tried to leave it non-specific enough to still be a
valid song about politicians in general long after the election is
over. Just change the song picture, and it could be about most any
of them. :-)
Great going. You can whip this one for mid-terms, locals ... ANY election.
So don't be surprised if this one appears again in a couple years. <g>
Post by BobF
Dash
2016-10-31 20:24:49 UTC
Post by Glennbo
Pick a candidate, they all suck. What lies ahead is a play on words.
You would think with a country with a population of over 320 million
people you could find at least a couple of candidates you could proudly
vote for.

NOT!!!

As an Independent what am I to do? I guess write in Gman but he has
about as much of a chance of winning as those other two Johnson or Stein
who I know nothing about and their chances of winning? Cough!

Historic election for sure and I am going to self induce a coma until it
is over.

Signing out, -
--
-

Dash
2016-10-31 20:38:30 UTC
Post by Dash
Post by Glennbo
Pick a candidate, they all suck. What lies ahead is a play on words.
You would think with a country with a population of over 320 million
people you could find at least a couple of candidates you could proudly
vote for.
NOT!!!
As an Independent what am I to do? I guess write in Gman but he has
about as much of a chance of winning as those other two Johnson or Stein
who I know nothing about and their chances of winning? Cough!
Historic election for sure and I am going to self induce a coma until it
is over.
Signing out, -
Okay so the drugs I am taking for my self induced coma with Nurse Betty
patiently waiting bedside haven't completely kicked in so I took your
link to this song and sent it from my puter to my smartphone and yes it
did play that way. Getting veerrry sleeeeepy thow.
--
-

Glennbo
2016-10-31 21:30:58 UTC
In news:nv8a3d$td7$***@dont-email.me the killer robot Dash <-@nospam.dot>
Post by Dash
Post by Dash
Post by Glennbo
[...]
Don't fall asleep just yet. You still are going to have to hand out votes
to all the little Trick-or-Treaters who dressed up as Hillary and Trump. ;)
Dash
2016-10-31 23:46:24 UTC
Post by Dash
Post by Dash
Post by Glennbo
[...]
This is Nurse Betty Kincaid serving as Mr. DR's intermediary. He has
been lights out for well over an hour and is currently being monitored
while being comafied until this *nasty* election is over and won't be
able to hand out any votes tonight. Sorry! I was instructed however
though to tell all of the parents to write your name in as a candidate
for POTUS on their ballots.
Glennbo
2016-11-01 04:02:58 UTC
In news:nv8l3l$2jf$***@dont-email.me the killer robot Dash <-@nospam.dot>
Post by Dash
Post by Glennbo
Post by Dash
Post by Dash
Post by Glennbo
[...]
We had about ten Trick-or-Treaters, and none of them had Trump or Clinton
masks on, so we gave them all candy instead of dead people's unused votes.
;)
polymod
2016-11-01 18:26:43 UTC
"Glennbo" wrote in message news:***@213.239.209.88...

Pick a candidate, they all suck. What lies ahead is a play on words.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=5672&songID=13474815
Great tune! Reminds me of early Steely Dan. Has that retro sound. Drums
sound excellent.
Great stuff!

Poly

---
Glennbo
2016-11-01 22:16:53 UTC
In news:nvamoh$uvs$***@dont-email.me the killer robot "polymod"
<***@optonline.net> grabbed the controls of the spaceship
Post by Glennbo
Pick a candidate, they all suck. What lies ahead is a play on words.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=5672&songID=13474815
Great tune! Reminds me of early Steely Dan. Has that retro sound.
Drums sound excellent.
Great stuff!
Thanks Poly! The drums are over two gigs of data on this. :-)
polymod
2016-11-02 10:29:55 UTC

Post by Glennbo
Pick a candidate, they all suck. What lies ahead is a play on words.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=5672&songID=13474815
Great tune! Reminds me of early Steely Dan. Has that retro sound.
Drums sound excellent.
Great stuff!
Thanks Poly! The drums are over two gigs of data on this. :-)
It sounds it <g>
Ain't it nice to have room to spare?

Poly
Glennbo
2016-11-02 15:48:40 UTC
In news:nvcf6a$v2$***@dont-email.me the killer robot "polymod"
Post by Glennbo
Post by Glennbo
Pick a candidate, they all suck. What lies ahead is a play on words.
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=5672&songID=13474815
Great tune! Reminds me of early Steely Dan. Has that retro sound.
Drums sound excellent.
Great stuff!
Thanks Poly! The drums are over two gigs of data on this. :-)
It sounds it <g>
Ain't it nice to have room to spare?
Yes indeed! I was tempting my DAW to crash by turning on close, mid,
and far room ambience, plus a channel called "chamber" and another
called "Sansamp". Chamber is a huge cave, and Sansamp is a crunchy
effect that adds definition to the attack.

Since drums are the one and only sampled instrument on this, I figured
what the heck and used 2079 MB of RAM for them. My kid was by last night
and said he's planning to upgrade his machine to 16GB of RAM, so I told
him that I'd buy the 8GB he's currently using when he does.

He also tested my song link on his Android phone, and it played first
try with no issues whatsoever, and he was using the mobile version.
polymod

Poly
Glennbo
2016-11-03 01:29:01 UTC
In news:nvd41s$aud$***@dont-email.me the killer robot "polymod"
Post by Glennbo
Post by Glennbo
Post by Glennbo
[...]
So I made a test recording so you all could see what makes a HUGE sampled
drum kit, and how much difference it makes. The following bit starts out
with only the additional ambience channels I added to my normal Ludwig kit.

This includes ambience mid, ambience far, chamber, and Sansamp. My normal
kit has ambience close, so I omitted it for the first section of this test.

The second section is the whole drum kit with all ambience channels. This
is the full 2079 MB kit soloed.

The last section is the whole song, but with all the extra ambience
channels turned off, so it is like the kit I've been using for the last
year again, with only used 835 MB of memory.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13476535

The end result is the added 1244 MB of ambience is cool, but it certainly
isn't needed to make the drums sound good, because I have the entire mix
running through a convolution reverb that puts artificial ambience on the
drums anyway. Since I can turn all that stuff on now due to running 64 bit,
I'll probably do it, but making the kit use more than twice the memory,
does not make the drums sound twice as good IMHO.
polymod
2016-11-03 12:53:47 UTC

Post by Glennbo
Post by Glennbo
Post by Glennbo
[...]

Agreed. Keep the drums smaller and keep the headroom for the other stuff!

Poly
Glennbo
2016-11-03 13:41:27 UTC
In news:nvfc01$6gs$***@dont-email.me the killer robot "polymod"
Post by Glennbo
Post by Glennbo
Post by Glennbo
Post by Glennbo
[...]
So which version of Komplete do you have? I see them ranging in price from
fifty bucks to as much as $1,649.00, and I'm pretty sure a lot of things in
there, I wouldn't use like amp simulators. The sampled content is what I
most likely would have more interest in, now that I can access more RAM.
polymod
2016-11-03 14:53:01 UTC
"Glennbo" wrote in message news:***@213.239.209.88...

<snip>
So which version of Komplete do you have? I see them ranging in price from
fifty bucks to as much as $1,649.00, and I'm pretty sure a lot of things in
there, I wouldn't use like amp simulators. The sampled content is what I
most likely would have more interest in, now that I can access more RAM.
I have Komplete 9. I snagged it as a Kontakt "crossgrade" up to Kontakt 5.
NI lowered the price price right before they went to Komplete 10.
As a matter of fact, I think the price was just slightly more than the
Kontakt upgrade I was looking for. A good deal in my book.
Here's what it came with:

Battery 4
Session Strings
Solid Bus Comp
Solid Dynamics
Solid EQ
Transient Master
Monark
The Giant
Reaktor
Kontakt 5
Guitar Rig 5
Studio Drummer
West Africa
Abbey Road 60's Drummer
Scarbee MM-Bass
Scarbee A-200
Scarbee Mark !
Retro Machines
Vintage Organs
Scarbee Clavinet/Pianet
New York Concert Grand
Berlin Concert Grand
Vienna Concert Grand
Upright Piano
Massive
Absynth
FM8
...and a few other assorted goodies.

Poly
Glennbo
2016-11-03 15:16:52 UTC
In news:nvfivj$15a$***@dont-email.me the killer robot "polymod"
<***@optonline.net> grabbed the controls of the spaceship
cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...
Post by polymod
<snip>
[...]
The drums, basses, and amp simulators I probably don't need, but the
sampled instruments, synths, and plugins might be worth looking into.

Thanks for the info!
polymod
2016-11-03 22:30:40 UTC
"Glennbo" wrote in message news:***@213.239.209.88...

In news:nvfivj$15a$***@dont-email.me the killer robot "polymod"
<***@optonline.net> grabbed the controls of the spaceship
cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...
Post by polymod
<snip>
[...]

My pleasure!
FWIW, Kontakt comes with it's own library which is pretty huge by itself!

Poly
Glennbo
2016-11-04 02:50:16 UTC
In news:nvgdpm$9ae$***@dont-email.me the killer robot "polymod"
<***@optonline.net> grabbed the controls of the spaceship
cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...
Post by Glennbo
Post by polymod
<snip>
[...]
Well, for the Hell of it, I downloaded the free "Kontakt Player" and it's
free 650MB of "Factory Selection" sounds. A few of the sounds are usable,
so for being free I can't Komplain too much. I'm guessing the paid for
sounds are MUCH better. None of the free drums or percussion do much for
me, but then I don't record hiphop/urban stuff, and it's mostly stuff like
that. There is a pretty good clav and a couple nice world instruments, plus
a real decent upright bass. They weren't as generous with the free sounds
as Emu/Creative was with the free Proteus VX, but it's not made any longer,
where Kontakt still is a product in Native Instruments lineup.
polymod
2016-11-04 18:30:49 UTC
"Glennbo" wrote in message news:***@213.239.209.88...

Well, for the Hell of it, I downloaded the free "Kontakt Player" and it's
free 650MB of "Factory Selection" sounds. A few of the sounds are usable,
so for being free I can't Komplain too much. I'm guessing the paid for
sounds are MUCH better. None of the free drums or percussion do much for
me, but then I don't record hiphop/urban stuff, and it's mostly stuff like
that. There is a pretty good clav and a couple nice world instruments, plus
a real decent upright bass. They weren't as generous with the free sounds
as Emu/Creative was with the free Proteus VX, but it's not made any longer,
where Kontakt still is a product in Native Instruments lineup.
I initially purchased Kontakt to use as a sampler for libraries I was
interested in.
That Kontakt 3 came with close to 40 G of content was a huge bonus. I still
use some of those sounds along with the massive library that came with
Kontakt 5.

I think the library is more geared towards folks who compose (or attempt to
compose) realistic scores with all the articulations, and the factory
libraries give one more than enough ammo to get started.
If you're not into that then it's mostly just fluff<g>

Poly
Glennbo
2016-11-04 18:51:07 UTC
In news:nvik3u$72d$***@dont-email.me the killer robot "polymod"
Post by Glennbo
[...]
How do the strings and brass sound and play if all you were going to do was
play them yourself, and not use any of the special tricks with articulation
and that kind of stuff?

To be more concise, how do those sounds compare with these cheep 16 bit
sounds in "Hollywood Strings Silver" and "Hollywood Brass Silver" from
EastWest, and how playable in real time like this are they?

From this demo, it looks to me like this is some real playable stuff, ands
both the strings and brass together would only cost me $200 and only use up
a 23GB of my hard drive space. Strings and brass are primarily what I'm
after, since I already have the Native Instruments B4 Organ and FM7 along
with Tootrack's essential pianos. Strings and brass I only have crappy free
stuff that is mushy to play and could never do a string quartet to be in a
pop/rock song, and horns that could never do stabs and hits like Tower of
Power. So far I'm kind of leaning toward the EastWest Hollywood Strings and
Brass, mostly because at $99 a pop, I can realistically save up and buy one
of them, then save up and buy the other one, but also because the demos I'm
hearing of them are really getting me excited thinking about what I could
do with those sounds.
polymod
2016-11-04 19:41:53 UTC

Post by Glennbo
[...]

http://youtu.be/gZ6YucPT8oU

From this demo, it looks to me like this is some real playable stuff, ands
both the strings and brass together would only cost me $200 and only use up
a 23GB of my hard drive space. Strings and brass are primarily what I'm
after, since I already have the Native Instruments B4 Organ and FM7 along
with Tootrack's essential pianos. Strings and brass I only have crappy free
stuff that is mushy to play and could never do a string quartet to be in a
pop/rock song, and horns that could never do stabs and hits like Tower of
Power. So far I'm kind of leaning toward the EastWest Hollywood Strings and
Brass, mostly because at $99 a pop, I can realistically save up and buy one
of them, then save up and buy the other one, but also because the demos I'm
hearing of them are really getting me excited thinking about what I could
do with those sounds.
Well, judging from that vid, it was a simple staccato patch with no
keyswitching for different articulations, so I'd say they're as playable if
not better than what's in the vid. A lot is how the person playing is
articulating the notes. They taught us guys how to do that a long time ago
with the old Thomas Organs you'd see at the mall. Pull up a trumpet patch:
phrase like a trumpet player...etc.

I say if you're going to use them go for it.

Poly
Glennbo
2016-11-04 20:25:22 UTC
In news:nvio96$mgp$***@dont-email.me the killer robot "polymod"
Post by Glennbo
Post by Glennbo
[...]
From this demo, it looks to me like this is some real playable stuff,
ands both the strings and brass together would only cost me $200 and
[...]
Yeah, the stuff in that video is pretty straight up with no keyswitching,
although the mod wheel works in conjunction with velocity for cressendos,
but that's about it, plus these are 16 bit samples, which makes them cheap
in comparison to the "Gold" version which is 24 bit, includes lots of
articulations, and takes more than double the disk space.

Can you buy just the samples you want, with nothing else for Kontakt? IOW,
could I buy just the strings and brass and use them in the free Kontakt
Player I downloaded and installed last night? BobF posted a link that was
for Kontakt that included a 43GB library, but a lot of what I saw in it
included stuff like retro drum machines, urban loops, analog synths, Etc.

The main thing I would be interested in for Kontakt would be the Vienna
Symphonic Library Orchestra, but I don't see anywhere on NI's site that I
can buy it or any other individual sample sets by themselves.
polymod
2016-11-05 15:23:16 UTC

Post by Glennbo
Post by Glennbo
[...]
From this demo, it looks to me like this is some real playable stuff,
[...]

Sure....you can buy whatever you want to use but I think that Vienna thing
is around 5 bills from Sweetwater.
If you're gonna do orchestral work like Steve Karl, than the expensive stuff
is worth it.
But if your going to do the music where the drums/bass/guits/and vocals are
up front, I can't see any reason why the lower priced stuff wouldn't fit in
the mix just as well.
I say use the cheap stuff first. If it don't cut it, then you can go for the
upgrade in quality.

Poly

Poly
Glennbo
2016-11-05 18:49:26 UTC
In news:nvktg8$ptc$***@dont-email.me the killer robot "polymod"
Post by Glennbo
Post by Glennbo
Post by Glennbo
[...]
From this demo, it looks to me like this is some real playable stuff,
[...]
Yeah, that's more expensive than I think I want to go.
Post by Glennbo
But if your going to do the music where the drums/bass/guits/and
vocals are up front, I can't see any reason why the lower priced stuff
wouldn't fit in the mix just as well.
A string quartet backing up drums/bass/guitar is more what I'm thinking I
would use it for, along the lines of the strings in I am the Walrus. Horns
more along the lines of Tower of Power, Chicago, Blood Sweat & Tears. The
cheap 16 bit Hollywood Strings Silver has both staccato and legato samples,
but I think you can't key switch them as one of the cripplings to get you
to buy the 24 bit Gold version. For me, I'd either be using one or the
other, and most likely the staccato set most often.
Post by Glennbo
I say use the cheap stuff first. If it don't cut it, then you can go
for the upgrade in quality.
Thanks. That's what I think I'm gonna shoot for is save up for the strings
first, and depending on how that works out, get the horns next.
polymod
2016-11-06 15:57:59 UTC
"Glennbo" wrote in message news:***@213.239.209.88...

<snip>

A string quartet backing up drums/bass/guitar is more what I'm thinking I
would use it for, along the lines of the strings in I am the Walrus. Horns
more along the lines of Tower of Power, Chicago, Blood Sweat & Tears. The
cheap 16 bit Hollywood Strings Silver has both staccato and legato samples,
but I think you can't key switch them as one of the cripplings to get you
to buy the 24 bit Gold version. For me, I'd either be using one or the
other, and most likely the staccato set most often.
One workaround is to have two instances using two separate tracks.
One containing the staccato articulation, one legato.

You sure you can't key switch them using a patch that contains all the
articulations?
Open the "keyboard" tab within Kontakt and see if there are any colored keys
toward the bottom lower notes. If there are, those are the key switching
keys.
Still, to me it's easier to have two separate tracks than to keep inserting
key switches in one. Just my .02.

Poly
Glennbo
2016-11-06 17:21:06 UTC
In news:nvnjtb$6in$***@dont-email.me the killer robot "polymod"
<***@optonline.net> grabbed the controls of the spaceship
cakewalk.audio and pressed these buttons...
Post by polymod
<snip>
A string quartet backing up drums/bass/guitar is more what I'm
thinking I would use it for, along the lines of the strings in I am
the Walrus. Horns more along the lines of Tower of Power, Chicago,
Blood Sweat & Tears. The cheap 16 bit Hollywood Strings Silver has
both staccato and legato samples, but I think you can't key switch
them as one of the cripplings to get you to buy the 24 bit Gold
version. For me, I'd either be using one or the other, and most likely
the staccato set most often.
One workaround is to have two instances using two separate tracks.
One containing the staccato articulation, one legato.
You sure you can't key switch them using a patch that contains all the
articulations?
After a bit of digging around, I found the "Silver Edition" manual, and
it says it does do key switching, and only the articulations are
limited. Here are the articulations Hollywood Strings Silver has,

http://www.soundsonline-forums.com/docs/Hollywood-Strings_Articulations_Silver.pdf

vs. the articulations included in "Gold"

http://www.soundsonline-forums.com/docs/Hollywood-Strings_Articulations_Gold.pdf
Post by polymod
Open the "keyboard" tab within Kontakt and see if there are any
colored keys toward the bottom lower notes. If there are, those are
the key switching keys.
The free "Factory Selection" sounds I got with the free Kontakt Player
only has one string patch, and it looks to be more of a "String Machine"
type of sound, that is not really sampled, and more like an old Arp or
Crumar strings sound. The sound is called "String Melody - Orchestra".

You probably have that sound too, coz I think they always include the
basic "Factory Selection" sounds, no matter what version of Kontakt.
Post by polymod
Still, to me it's easier to have two separate tracks than to keep
inserting key switches in one. Just my .02.
For me, I will likely use the staccato sounds pretty exclusively.
As a percussionist, I generally don't like playing mushy sounds.

Stuff like the string quartet does here is the kind of stuff I want to do.

Glennbo
2016-11-07 04:34:55 UTC
In news:***@213.239.209.88 the killer
robot Glennbo <***@cox.net> grabbed the controls
Post by Glennbo
Pick a candidate, they all suck. What lies ahead is a play on words.
Remixed this over the weekend. Had WAY too much highs and things weren't
as balanced as I wanted. Using all new 64 bit EQs, compressors, Etc.,
I had over done it both with EQ and with compression. This new mix has
more space than the last one, and doesn't bite so much on the highs.

And since some folks have had issues with some of the links, I'll post
several ways to hit this song to see if one works better than others.

Main page should run automatically run a player
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandid=5672

This should be a direct link to the song.
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13474815

A link to the song grabbed from the player.
http://www.soundclick.com/html5/v3/player.cfm?type=single&songid=13474815&q=hi&newref=1

A link to the song through the chart.
http://www.soundclick.com/html5/v3/player.cfm?type=single&genre=Rock&songid=13474815&q=hi
Dash
2016-11-07 19:10:01 UTC
On Mon, 7 Nov 2016 04:34:55 -0000 (UTC), Glennbo
controls
Post by Glennbo
A link to the song through the chart.
http://www.soundclick.com/html5/v3/player.cfm?type=single&genre=Rock&so
ngid=13474815&q=hi

All links worked on Mr. DR's Android smartphone Mr. Glennbo. Nice
having the Beach Boys singing backups on this. It sounded cool.

Nurse Betty
-
Glennbo
2016-11-07 19:34:39 UTC
In news:***@news.eternal-september.org the
killer robot Dash <***@nospam.net> grabbed the controls of the
Post by Dash
Post by Glennbo
Post by Glennbo
[...]
Thanks for checking them out. Hopefully these will start working for
iPhones too. So far, Max hasn't had a link work as expected on his.
Post by Dash
Nice having the Beach Boys singing backups on this.
Tanks Mon! I used a technique that a former band member who is now
deceased used to use for background vocals in the studio. It's only
three parts, but one is oblique motion, where the voice is stationary.
The other two are contrary motion, where the two voices move in opposite
directions. Then all three of the voices are doubled and finally panned
slightly opposite of each other on the soundstage.
Post by Dash
It sounded cool.
Thanks for listening! :-)
Dash
2016-11-07 21:45:34 UTC
Post by Dash
Post by Dash
Nice having the Beach Boys singing backups on this.
Tanks Mon! I used a technique that a former band member who is now
deceased used to use for background vocals in the studio. It's only
three parts, but one is oblique motion, where the voice is stationary.
The other two are contrary motion, where the two voices move in opposite
directions. Then all three of the voices are doubled and finally panned
slightly opposite of each other on the soundstage.
Post by Dash
It sounded cool.
Thanks for listening! :-)
My pleasure Mr. Glennbo. Fascinating technique you describe in getting
the BG vocals. I almost thought the Beach Boys were right there in your
studio on surf boards in the flesh with wet suits or rash guards on of
course.

I will be bringing Mr. DR out of HIS/ours self induced coma after the
election results. So hopefully I will begin reducing the dosage of
propofol, and pentobarbital very late tomorrow night and hope we don't
have anything like the election of 2000. Of course I would then have an
extended period of work. This job as nurse has been a piece of cake with
lots of OT too.

Poor guy couldn't handle the political climate.

NB
Glennbo
2016-11-07 22:47:09 UTC
In news:nvqsl0$nml$***@dont-email.me the killer robot Dash <-@nospam.dot>
Post by Dash
Post by Glennbo
Post by Dash
Post by Dash
It sounded cool.
Thanks for listening! :-)
My pleasure Mr. Glennbo. Fascinating technique you describe in getting
the BG vocals. I almost thought the Beach Boys were right there in
your studio on surf boards in the flesh with wet suits or rash guards
on of course.
The guy I learned those tricks from was a fantasic singer, and would by
himself record these massive sounding lush background vocals at my old
tape based studio. Some of the interviews I did with that guy who does
video for Playboy is about him. I got a Youtube link to a piece of the
documetary, but I was instructed not to share it until the whole thing
has been produced and is officially out.
Post by Dash
I will be bringing Mr. DR out of HIS/ours self induced coma after the
election results. So hopefully I will begin reducing the dosage of
propofol, and pentobarbital very late tomorrow night and hope we don't
have anything like the election of 2000. Of course I would then have
an extended period of work. This job as nurse has been a piece of cake
with lots of OT too.
Poor guy couldn't handle the political climate.
I cannot wait until Tuesday is over! Wednesday I'm going out to a jam
night that the bass player from my last band is hosting. Unless there
is rioting in the streets and it's not safe to leave the house that is. ;)
John Braner
2016-11-10 21:27:42 UTC
Post by Glennbo
[...]
Sorry I'm late - I was away for a few weeks ;-)
I like this a lot - even though it has words! ;-)
I like the words, and I like the tremolo guit feel, and the solo parts.
Drums sound real good too.

good tune.
--
===========
John Braner

http://cdbaby.com/cd/JohnBraner2
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner
Glennbo
2016-11-10 21:37:21 UTC
In news:o02ooe$nll$***@news.albasani.net the killer robot John Braner
<***@myhouse.com> grabbed the controls of the spaceship cakewalk.audio
and pressed these buttons...
Post by John Braner
Post by Glennbo
[...]
Thanks John. :-)
Post by John Braner
I like the words, and I like the tremolo guit feel, and the solo
parts. Drums sound real good too.
Drums were absurdly huge on this, data wise. Since I had no other
sampled instruments besides the drums, I turned on four layers of room
mics, including cymbals which pushed the RAM usage over two gigs. The
tremolo on the guitar was done manually via foot volume control, so it
would be in sync with the beat of the song. I don't have any tremolo
plugins that sync.
Post by John Braner
good tune.
Thanks again for listening!