SONG: "Brace position"
John Braner
2017-01-03 14:05:38 UTC

I've got a new song out. It's called "Brace Position" - you can check it out
here:
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13508450

This one is a little "moody", but it is the product of cold winter evenings and the uncertainty of
entering "uncharted territory" in 2017 ;-)

This features some U-he Diva, which is my new favourite analog synth emulation,
plus all the regulars:
real (strat and tele) guitars (through Scuffham amp sims)
Trilian bass
Superior drums
etc

As usual, let me know what you think...
--
===========
John Braner

http://cdbaby.com/cd/JohnBraner2
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner
Glennbo
2017-01-03 22:55:04 UTC
In news:o4gb3j$f7r$***@news.albasani.net the killer robot John Braner
<***@myhouse.com> grabbed the controls of the spaceship cakewalk.audio
and pressed these buttons...
Post by John Braner
Hi,
I've got a new song out. It's called "Brace Position" - you can check
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13508450
This one is a little "moody", but it is the product of cold winter
evenings and the uncertainty of entering "uncharted territory" in 2017
;-)
This features some U-he Diva, which is my new favourite analog synth
real (strat and tele) guitars (through Scuffham amp sims)
Trilian bass
Superior drums
etc
As usual, let me know what you think...
Nice tones. What snare and from which library are you using?
--
Remove YourHeadFromYourAss to Reply by email
________ __
Hear My Music http://www.soundclick.com/ThePseudonyms
John Braner
2017-01-04 09:53:06 UTC
Post by Glennbo
and pressed these buttons...
Post by John Braner
Hi,
I've got a new song out. It's called "Brace Position" - you can check
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13508450
This one is a little "moody", but it is the product of cold winter
evenings and the uncertainty of entering "uncharted territory" in 2017
;-)
This features some U-he Diva, which is my new favourite analog synth
real (strat and tele) guitars (through Scuffham amp sims)
Trilian bass
Superior drums
etc
As usual, let me know what you think...
Nice tones. What snare and from which library are you using?
Thanks a lot for listening G'bo. It's the Metal Machinery kit, and I think the snare is the Black
Beauty, or Supraphonic (these are the ones I always use).
This was the first time I tried a preset - and bouncing through the Superior mixer. I would never
process the drums this much - but I wanted to try the "big drums" sound ;-)
Then I added everythign else on top of it - and let it take it's own course ;-)
--
===========

Glennbo
2017-01-05 01:37:30 UTC
In news:o4igm3$k75$***@news.albasani.net the killer robot John Braner
<***@myhouse.com> grabbed the controls of the spaceship cakewalk.audio
and pressed these buttons...
Post by John Braner
Post by Glennbo
Post by John Braner
Hi,
[...]
Ah, I knew I didn't recognize that snare. I'd have used it too, if I had
it, but Metal Machinery is an expansion pack I don't have. Might have to
get it at some point in the future, but even at the sale price it's on
right now, it's more than I can go. Most of my new software and toys are in
the sub-fifty-dollar range for a while. Komplete Elements (OLD software)
for Christmas was $49 and Lexicon MPX Native Reverb for birthday is $39.

Both together were $19 less than the sale price for Metal Machinery. :/
John Braner
2017-01-05 10:08:26 UTC
Post by Glennbo
and pressed these buttons...
Post by John Braner
Post by Glennbo
Post by John Braner
Hi,
[...]
I also forgot to mention - it's a preset, and there is a stacked sound in with the snare (they can
add samples in with presets. It's all mysterious, and end users certainly can't do it)
There is a Ludwig Black Beauty and/or Supraphonic in a lot of the kits though - so you don'y have to
get Metal Machinery to use them.
Also - you can look at the EZX kits. They're made for EZDrummer, but they work fine in Superior 2.
I think they're 16 bit rather than 24, and they're a little bit processed (where the SDX kits are
raw drum sounds) - but they still sound good.

The EZX equivalent for Metal Machinery is this one
https://www.toontrack.com/product/metal-machine-ezx/

but again, lots of other ones have these Ludwig snares too.

You can sometimes pick up EZX kits pretty cheap.
--
===========

Glennbo
2017-01-05 18:51:11 UTC
In news:o4l5ut$p5k$***@news.albasani.net the killer robot John Braner
<***@myhouse.com> grabbed the controls of the spaceship cakewalk.audio
and pressed these buttons...
Post by John Braner
Post by Glennbo
Post by John Braner
Post by Glennbo
Post by John Braner
Hi,
[...]
My primary kit is an "all X-Drums" kit that I made using the 1979 Ludwig
samples from NY Studios Vol. 3, but the snare I use is a Ludwig Black
Beauty from NY Studios Vol. 2. "Hit Factory". I used that snare because I
absolutely hated the Ludwig Black Beauty snare in NY Studios Vol. 3.

The tuning, dampening, and how the drum was hit makes tons of difference.

In NY Studios Vol 3. the Ludwig Black Beauty sounds like a cardboard box.
In NY Studios Vol 2. "Hit Factory" the Ludwig Black Beauty sounds just like
the real Black Beauty snare I used for years on this set of Ludwig drums.

Post by John Braner
Also - you can look at the EZX kits. They're made for EZDrummer, but
they work fine in Superior 2. I think they're 16 bit rather than 24,
and they're a little bit processed (where the SDX kits are raw drum
sounds) - but they still sound good.
The EZX equivalent for Metal Machinery is this one
https://www.toontrack.com/product/metal-machine-ezx/
but again, lots of other ones have these Ludwig snares too.
You can sometimes pick up EZX kits pretty cheap.
The EZX samples are too processed for me. I have EZD and some expansion
packs, but I didn't install them when I recently did a fresh install of
Windows 7-64 bit. I installed all of the drum kits from, Superior 1, and
installed Superior 2 along with three SDX expansion packs, but I left all
the EZ-Drummer and EZX stuff off of my machine, because I never used it.

That big Ludwig drum kit I linked to above used to be the drums I had in an
isolation booth in my old tape based studio. I used a total of 13 mics on
it for recording. As a result, Superior Drummer 1 and 2 both feel right at
home to me, as if I had a real set of drums with a lot of mics on them, and
that's why the pre-processed sounds of the EZX kits bug me a bit.

In 2006 I bought EZ-Drummer and a couple expansion packs for it, but didn't
use it a year before switching to Superor 1, and then later Superior 2.
John Braner
2017-01-05 21:51:36 UTC
Post by Glennbo
and pressed these buttons...
Post by John Braner
Post by Glennbo
Post by John Braner
Post by Glennbo
Hi,
http://sclkssl.ssl.hwcdn.net/97/imgpages/5/4/45205_783481.jpg
Post by John Braner
[...]
Ahh OK.
I understand that all the SDX's are recorded differently (and by different people) but I still
always go for a Black Beauty or Supraphonic - first. I know nothing about the "real" drums - but I
always liek the sound of these... ;-)

I agree completely about EZX's - I was just thinking about price.

Anyway - it sounds like you've already got a Black Beauty that you like. The difference in the Metal
Machinery one may also be all the FX that are on the preset I used. I've never used a preset before
- and usually use all my own FX. I wanted to try a "big" sound - and went for a preset this time -
so it has compressors, transient shapers, a little eq here and there, and the extra snare layer that
I mentioned. I pretty much just left everything the way it is, and bounced through the Superior
mixer - which I also never normally do.
--
===========

Glennbo
2017-01-06 03:09:14 UTC
In news:o4mf5b$ptu$***@news.albasani.net the killer robot John Braner
<***@myhouse.com> grabbed the controls of the spaceship cakewalk.audio
and pressed these buttons...
Post by John Braner
Post by Glennbo
Post by John Braner
Post by Glennbo
Post by John Braner
Post by Glennbo
Post by John Braner
Hi,
[...]
:/
Post by John Braner
[...]
Well, you know enough about drums to know what a couple of the great
snares are. Both of those Ludwig snares are among the best of the best.

I lucked out and got mine for no extra cost with that big set of drums.
Wish I still had it now, coz to buy a new one just like it is $699.00!

https://www.amazon.com/Ludwig-Black-Beauty-Snare-Drum/dp/B000A6D87G/ref=sr_1_4?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1483671555&sr=1-4&keywords=Ludwig+black+Beauty+Snare+Drum
Post by John Braner
I agree completely about EZX's - I was just thinking about price.
Anyway - it sounds like you've already got a Black Beauty that you
like. The difference in the Metal Machinery one may also be all the FX
that are on the preset I used. I've never used a preset before - and
usually use all my own FX. I wanted to try a "big" sound - and went
for a preset this time - so it has compressors, transient shapers, a
little eq here and there, and the extra snare layer that I mentioned.
I pretty much just left everything the way it is, and bounced through
the Superior mixer - which I also never normally do.
It was mostly that the snare you used on your new song caught my ear, and
I was pretty sure (now confirmed) that it was one I didn't have. Even if
it didn't have the preset stuff going on, it is still tuned up where I like
my snare drums to sit, pitch wise, and dampened such that it still has some
ring, but not too much. That's what a lot of the other Black Beauty and
Supraphonic samples (like the ones from NY Studios 3) lack. The *only*
snare from NY Studios 3 that I can even stand is the Nir Z high tuned.

All the rest of them sound like flappy crappy cardboard boxes IMHO. ;)
John Braner
2017-01-06 10:09:41 UTC
Post by Glennbo
and pressed these buttons...
Post by John Braner
Post by Glennbo
Post by John Braner
Post by Glennbo
Post by John Braner
Post by Glennbo
Hi,
Post by John Braner
[...]
Oh well, keep your eyes open for Metal Machinery then - in case it ever goes on "blowout" or
"clearance" - or even second hand at KVR (?)

It's not just for metal at all - and it's my second favourite SDX (Progressive Foundry is first). It
also has another tama snare that I like ;-)
--
===========

Glennbo
2017-01-06 16:14:34 UTC
In news:o4nqd5$vd3$***@news.albasani.net the killer robot John Braner
<***@myhouse.com> grabbed the controls of the spaceship cakewalk.audio
and pressed these buttons...
Post by John Braner
Post by Glennbo
Post by John Braner
Post by Glennbo
Post by John Braner
Post by Glennbo
Post by John Braner
Post by Glennbo
Hi,
Post by John Braner
[...]
;)
Oh well, keep your eyes open for Metal Machinery then - in case it
ever goes on "blowout" or "clearance" - or even second hand at KVR (?)
I might buy it when it's on sale again later on down the line, but right
now $107 is more than I want to spend to get that snare.
Post by John Braner
It's not just for metal at all - and it's my second favourite SDX
(Progressive Foundry is first). It also has another tama snare that I
like ;-)
Those Toontrack guys don't seem to know how to label the kits. It was in
fact "Drumkit From Hell" that put them on the map. They were selling that
as a metalhead drumkit, but more non-metal people were buying it and using
it on non-metal music. The name "Metal Machinery" has kept me from even
looking at that particular SDX expansion pack, but it looks like they have
done the same thing as they did with the original Drumkit From Hell, and
labeled it as if you will only want it if you are a Deth Metal Headbanger.