inexpensive beer
BobF
2008-10-19 18:54:43 UTC
I mentioned here a while back that I had "discovered" AmberBock as a
decent, inexpensive, everyday kind of brew.

I had never tried the other Michelob so-called "craft beers".

I picked up one of the 20 packs the other day. Four each of AmberBock,
Pale Ale, Irish Red, Marzen and Porter.

The Pale Ale is pretty good. Very hoppy, almost flowery.

The Marzen is VERY good.

I'm just now trying the Irish Red - also VERY good.

I haven't tried the Porter yet. It's supposed to have hints of coffee
and chocolate. I'll keep that for a special occasion :-)

This stuff is pretty darned good for "7-11 Beer" as Glennbo calls it. I
hope they keep the 20 pack thing going. It's nice having a wide variety
of flavors at ones disposal.
kitekrazy
2008-10-19 20:27:29 UTC
Post by BobF
I mentioned here a while back that I had "discovered" AmberBock as a
decent, inexpensive, everyday kind of brew.
I had never tried the other Michelob so-called "craft beers".
I picked up one of the 20 packs the other day. Four each of AmberBock,
Pale Ale, Irish Red, Marzen and Porter.
The Pale Ale is pretty good. Very hoppy, almost flowery.
The Marzen is VERY good.
I'm just now trying the Irish Red - also VERY good.
I haven't tried the Porter yet. It's supposed to have hints of coffee
and chocolate. I'll keep that for a special occasion :-)
This stuff is pretty darned good for "7-11 Beer" as Glennbo calls it. I
hope they keep the 20 pack thing going. It's nice having a wide variety
of flavors at ones disposal.
I don't care for the AmberBock. I've been thinking of getting the 20 pack
collection.

May favorite beer is coming on sale soon-Sam Adams Winter Ale. I also like
their holiday pack.

Meanwhile I've been buying Busch in cans for $5.99 a 12. It's my favorite
bargain basement beer.
BobF
2008-10-19 20:38:51 UTC
Post by kitekrazy
Post by BobF
I mentioned here a while back that I had "discovered" AmberBock as a
decent, inexpensive, everyday kind of brew.
I had never tried the other Michelob so-called "craft beers".
I picked up one of the 20 packs the other day. Four each of AmberBock,
Pale Ale, Irish Red, Marzen and Porter.
The Pale Ale is pretty good. Very hoppy, almost flowery.
The Marzen is VERY good.
I'm just now trying the Irish Red - also VERY good.
I haven't tried the Porter yet. It's supposed to have hints of coffee
and chocolate. I'll keep that for a special occasion :-)
This stuff is pretty darned good for "7-11 Beer" as Glennbo calls it. I
hope they keep the 20 pack thing going. It's nice having a wide variety
of flavors at ones disposal.
I don't care for the AmberBock. I've been thinking of getting the 20 pack
collection.
Send me the AmberBock. If you like darks, just not that one, you'll
prolly like the Marzen. That's their Oktoberfest brew.
You should at least get bottles - $7.50/12!
kitekrazy
2008-10-20 02:03:15 UTC
Post by BobF
Post by kitekrazy
Post by BobF
[...]
I'm not fond of Oktoberfest brews. I bought Sam Adams Oktoberfest and I
didn't like at is much as the Boston Lager.
Post by BobF
Post by kitekrazy
May favorite beer is coming on sale soon-Sam Adams Winter Ale. I also like
their holiday pack.
Meanwhile I've been buying Busch in cans for $5.99 a 12. It's my favorite
bargain basement beer.
You should at least get bottles - $7.50/12!
I've found with cans that taking out the trash is a lot easier. Cans
don't break and they are lighter.
Monty Parts
2008-10-20 14:56:15 UTC
Post by kitekrazy
I've found with cans that taking out the trash is a lot easier. Cans
don't break and they are lighter.
Oh that and they are quicker at giving you Alzheimer's from the leeching
aluminum into your system. But if you are drunk...what's to worry.<G>

P.S. Sarcasm aside...Glass is a better for you health wise; Has no taste
added as aluminum leeches small amounts of the metal into the alcohol;
is a more renewable resource earth wise; And gets and holds the cold
quicker and longer than metal cans do.

PN
Glennbo
2008-10-20 14:55:59 UTC
In news:***@montyparts.com the killer robot Monty Parts
<***@montyparts.com> grabbed the controls of the spaceship
cakewalk.coffeehouse and pressed these buttons...
Post by Monty Parts
P.S. Sarcasm aside...Glass is a better for you health wise; Has no taste
added as aluminum leeches small amounts of the metal into the alcohol;
is a more renewable resource earth wise; And gets and holds the cold
quicker and longer than metal cans do.
I only do glass bottles. Brown glass bottles to be exact. Less light into
the bottle is better, and yes I can taste the aluminum taste from cans.
There is Keystone beer, which has a plastic lined can. A good idea, but
Keystone beer isn't a very tasty beer to begin with.
--
Remove YourHeadFromYourAss to Reply by email
________ __
Hear My Music http://www.soundclick.com/ThePseudonyms
Zelix
2008-10-20 15:10:59 UTC
Post by Monty Parts
P.S. Sarcasm aside...Glass is a better for you health wise; Has no taste
added as aluminum leeches small amounts of the metal into the alcohol;
is a more renewable resource earth wise; And gets and holds the cold
quicker and longer than metal cans do.
I only do glass bottles.  Brown glass bottles to be exact.  Less light into
the bottle is better, and yes I can taste the aluminum taste from cans.
There is Keystone beer, which has a plastic lined can.  A good idea, but
Keystone beer isn't a very tasty beer to begin with.
How dare you insult Klassy Keystone Lite! Of course it's not tastey..
that's why you chug'em pal!.. heh

actually my wifey like it. I drinky Jim Beam.
Monty Parts
2008-10-20 18:31:17 UTC
Post by Glennbo
the bottle is better, and yes I can taste the aluminum taste from cans.
Both Milk and Bier benefit from using dark colored glass containers.
It's even more important with bier as it often is placed in light when
Post by Glennbo
There is Keystone beer, which has a plastic lined can. A good idea, but
Keystone beer isn't a very tasty beer to begin with.
I thought the idea was a good one. However the plastic...ehhh...not so
good. Plastic manufacturing is one of the worst things we have done to
the environment. And plastic leech's into the bier as well...even if you
don't taste it you do get the benefit of all that carcinogenic
goodness.<G>

PN
Zelix
builds character... <GGG>
Glennbo
2008-10-20 19:08:28 UTC
Post by Glennbo
the bottle is better, and yes I can taste the aluminum taste from cans.
Both Milk and Bier benefit from using dark colored glass containers.
It's even more important with bier as it often is placed in light when
Brown bottled bier you make the rocking world go round!
Post by Glennbo
Post by Glennbo
There is Keystone beer, which has a plastic lined can. A good idea, but
Keystone beer isn't a very tasty beer to begin with.
I thought the idea was a good one. However the plastic...ehhh...not so
good. Plastic manufacturing is one of the worst things we have done to
the environment. And plastic leech's into the bier as well...even if you
don't taste it you do get the benefit of all that carcinogenic
goodness.<G>
Well, I was never impressed with the Keystone taste, so I didn't get much
of those carcinogens!
Organfreak
Don't worry; he's already got it.
polymod
2008-10-20 13:54:13 UTC
Post by BobF
I mentioned here a while back that I had "discovered" AmberBock as a
decent, inexpensive, everyday kind of brew.
I had never tried the other Michelob so-called "craft beers".
I picked up one of the 20 packs the other day. Four each of AmberBock,
Pale Ale, Irish Red, Marzen and Porter.
The Pale Ale is pretty good. Very hoppy, almost flowery.
The Marzen is VERY good.
I'm just now trying the Irish Red - also VERY good.
I haven't tried the Porter yet. It's supposed to have hints of coffee
and chocolate. I'll keep that for a special occasion :-)
This stuff is pretty darned good for "7-11 Beer" as Glennbo calls it. I
hope they keep the 20 pack thing going. It's nice having a wide variety
of flavors at ones disposal.
This may be true, but drink a Samuel Smith's Nut Brown Ale and the fat lady
will be singing.

Poly
Monty Parts
2008-10-20 15:06:59 UTC
Post by BobF
The Marzen is VERY good.
I agree. I thought that the drunk for a buck scale was very favorable
for this beer. <g>
Post by BobF
I haven't tried the Porter yet.
A very good quafable bier. Considering the price differential it has
becomes a table stadard..especially when the fall chill starts setting
in. I recommend the Porter with a nice homemade Chili Con Carne...medium
hot. If you get to the hotter end of the spectrum...the Porter will kill
you. <G>

As a side note: I'm over the days of high prices for what should really
be a common table drinks. Wine, Beer etc...it's all nice...and the more
expensive stuff does carry a quality...but a table wine or beer
IMO...that should be lower priced, drinkable, enjoyable, and pretty
simple.
I now save the high priced craft Beers and high end wine for the
Holidays and special occasions.
BobF
2008-10-20 15:08:45 UTC
Post by BobF
I haven't tried the Porter yet.
A very good quafable bier. Considering the price differential it has
becomes a table stadard..especially when the fall chill starts setting
in. I recommend the Porter with a nice homemade Chili Con Carne...medium
hot. If you get to the hotter end of the spectrum...the Porter will kill
you. <G>
As a side note: I'm over the days of high prices for what should really
be a common table drinks. Wine, Beer etc...it's all nice...and the more
expensive stuff does carry a quality...but a table wine or beer
IMO...that should be lower priced, drinkable, enjoyable, and pretty
simple.
I now save the high priced craft Beers and high end wine for the
Holidays and special occasions.
That's what I like about this craft pack. Everyday price, but pretty
darned good.

I have concluded though that Pale Ale is too flowery for "slamming back
a few" - good for a change of pace once in a while, but not something
I'll drink every day.

Hmmmm ... maybe I need to "slam back a few" to develop my taste. Maybe.
<VBG>
Monty Parts
2008-10-20 18:46:54 UTC
I have concluded though that Pale Ale is too flowery for "slamming back a few" - good for a change of pace once in a while, but not something
I'll drink every day.
I haven't tasted the Pale Ale. Flowery...interesting description of a
bier....do you mean it's too aromatic? Like pop porri flowery?
Hmmmm ... maybe I need to "slam back a few" to develop my taste. Maybe.
<VBG>
I've noticed my appreciation of a biers taste increases exponentially in
relation to the quantity I have consumed. It's either that or I care a
hell of a lot less.<G>

PN
BobF
2008-10-20 19:07:55 UTC
Post by Monty Parts
I have concluded though that Pale Ale is too flowery for "slamming back a few" - good for a change of pace once in a while, but not something
I'll drink every day.
I haven't tasted the Pale Ale. Flowery...interesting description of a
bier....do you mean it's too aromatic? Like pop porri flowery?
Not really an aroma. More that it tastes the way I imagine a hop-based
potpourri would *taste* :-)) Maybe 'spicy' - but not really.

What the hell. Pick up a sixer and try it out!
PN
Zelix
2008-10-20 19:11:19 UTC
Post by Monty Parts
I have concluded though that Pale Ale is too flowery for "slamming back a few" - good for a change of pace once in a while, but not something
I'll drink every day.
I haven't tasted the Pale Ale. Flowery...interesting description of a
bier....do you mean it's too aromatic? Like pop porri flowery?
Not really an aroma.  More that it tastes the way I imagine a hop-based
potpourri would *taste* :-))  Maybe 'spicy' - but not really.
What the hell.  Pick up a sixer and try it out!
You mean an appetizer, rite? What's a sixpack gownna do for ya? need a
12 pak to just get onboard.<GGG>
Monty Parts
2008-10-20 19:51:46 UTC
Post by Zelix
You mean an appetizer, rite? What's a sixpack gownna do for ya? need a
12 pak to just get onboard.<GGG>
I was drinking the Michelob Ultra over the summer...perfect bier pop for
the humidity and temperature. The only issue I had was that I could
drink 4 or 10 or them before I knew it...appetizer is probably the right
word!

Now along comes Oktoberfest biers...we had our own neighborhood mini
Oktoberfest yesterday...I went and got a whole variety of Oktoberfest
biers for consumption. And wowza...most of those were heading above 6%
alcohol. Great taste I thought...had to go slow and we drank them as
flights...4oz each...and we drank while we ate our dinner).

The biers we sampled in no particular order:

1. Paulaner Oktoberfest Marzen. Much better than last years batch...a
little nutty in flavor, good spice and not much malt. My favorite
Oktoberfest Bier. Even though I said no order this was our #1
preference.

2. Brooklyn Brewery Oktoberfest. I really enjoyed this bier. Malty,
Nutty. However the second one...it seemed to not enhance the first one
if that makes sense.

3. Spaten Oktoberfest. Long time favorite, but slipped a little this
year. Probably because we are totally used to drinking it. Malty,
lighter than others...but still good.

4. Harpoon Oktoberfest. I like this one a lot...but it is not my idea of
a traditional Oktober bier. A bit too much on the bitter side for a
cold fall day...and really...uhhmmmm...Hoppy. Nearer to a Pilsner I
would say. But bier being the evil temptress she is....I enjoyed it. And
it paired with the Sauerkraut, pork, sausages, apples and potatoes we
were eating.

5. Penn Oktoberfest. The lightest amber of all the biers we tried.
Woooweee...good with spicy sauerkraut...really good. Doesn't linger
around like the heavier Biers we sampled. And a good sign is it comes
from a Germanic area of the nation...Pennslyvania. So there is some
traditional thinking behind the brewing going on.

6. Flying Dog Dogtoberfest. A great malty, roasted flavor with something
like a sweet aftertaste. Would support the heaviest of foods well...the
smokier the better. It was a perfect compliment to the Brats with the
really spicy stone ground mustard we had.

7. Avery The Kaiser Imperial Oktoberfest. This bier must be an acquired
taste...but I couldn't aquire it. <G> It didn't match at all with any of
our traditional German Foods. And I bought it solely on the name
alone...Avery the Kaiser...sounds like it should be great...or at least
kill someone or something.

8. Sam Adams Octoberfest. A good bier...no surprises...it's the same
flavor they perfected 15 years ago...if I'm to be believed I can
remember the bier from way back then!<G> Nothing wrong here...just that
it's like buying a Bud for Oktoberfest...oh...and they didn't spell the
name right either! In a emergency it would be fine. It was the lowest
priced of all the ones we sampled.

PN
Michael
2008-10-20 22:23:25 UTC
Post by Monty Parts
2. Brooklyn Brewery Oktoberfest. I really enjoyed this bier. Malty,
Nutty. However the second one...it seemed to not enhance the first one
if that makes sense.
One of my absolute faves... Brooklyn makes several really nice ales as well
as their more "traditionally German" beers.
Post by Monty Parts
7. Avery The Kaiser Imperial Oktoberfest. This bier must be an
acquired taste...but I couldn't aquire it. <G> It didn't match at all
with any of our traditional German Foods. And I bought it solely on
the name alone...Avery the Kaiser...sounds like it should be
great...or at least kill someone or something.
I quite liked this one, but you're right about it being unsuited to salty,
meaty, high-flavour eating.
Post by Monty Parts
8. Sam Adams Octoberfest. A good bier...no surprises...it's the same
flavor they perfected 15 years ago...if I'm to be believed I can
remember the bier from way back then!<G> Nothing wrong here...just
that it's like buying a Bud for Oktoberfest...oh...and they didn't
spell the name right either! In a emergency it would be fine. It was
the lowest priced of all the ones we sampled.
Sammy's is just good beer. Period. No frills, no surprises... no regrets.
:-)

May I add one of my own, even though it isn't a german-style beer?

Thomas Hardy's Ale, 2006 numbered-botttle-conditioned vintage ale. Very
little head and only short-lasting fizz (unfortunate because this makes it
best swallowed fairly quickly once poured... and at 11.7%alc, it's a poor
choice for guzzling except from a tiny 3oz glass - to which it's very well
suited) and an $8 250ml bottle serves 4 full-on tasters without knocking
anyone over. Heavy on the medium-dark malt, practically no hops (if any),
and surprisingly sweet-flavoured (the tiniest hint of maple syrup seems to
have crept in there somehow) without actually being sweet at all.
Monty Parts
2008-10-22 14:00:17 UTC
Post by Michael
Thomas Hardy's Ale, 2006 numbered-botttle-conditioned vintage ale. Very
little head and only short-lasting fizz (unfortunate because this makes it
best swallowed fairly quickly once poured... and at 11.7%alc, it's a poor
choice for guzzling except from a tiny 3oz glass - to which it's very well
suited) and an $8 250ml bottle serves 4 full-on tasters without knocking
anyone over. Heavy on the medium-dark malt, practically no hops (if any),
and surprisingly sweet-flavoured (the tiniest hint of maple syrup seems to
have crept in there somehow) without actually being sweet at all.
Great choice. I went and got a gottle to bink risch afturs I reash your
suggggesstion!
Swimingly goooosh...thanks....I'll have the Sashimi please...lite on the
fisch...
Hey...when dish you ged here? <G>

PN

Glennbo
2008-10-20 19:10:21 UTC
Post by Monty Parts
I haven't tasted the Pale Ale. Flowery...interesting description of a
bier....do you mean it's too aromatic? Like pop porri flowery?
Prolly means "hoppy". Like Pyramid IPA, which is "bursting with hops".
http://www.pyramidbrew.com/beer/beerguide/ipa.php