Ingmar Bergman RIP
Papanate
2007-07-30 17:06:27 UTC
One of the truly original filmmakers of our generation has passed away
today.

http://www.mercurynews.com/nationworld/ci_6498248

Here is a small filmography of some of his best known works.

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/film/2007/07/ingmar_bergmans_greatest_scene.html

Personally I had a hard time with his films...I loved the look and many
of the cinematography elements...but the story lines and general flow
were...uhh...hard to grasp or remain interested in.

Still...another great one passes on.
--
Existential Garbageman of America.
"Did I really throw that out, or did I jump really far away from it?"
Glennbo
2007-07-30 17:32:20 UTC
In news:***@nc.rr.com the killer robot Papanate
<***@nc.rr.com> grabbed the controls of the spaceship
cakewalk.coffeehouse and pressed these buttons...
Post by Papanate
One of the truly original filmmakers of our generation has passed away
today.
http://www.mercurynews.com/nationworld/ci_6498248
Here is a small filmography of some of his best known works.
http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/film/2007/07/ingmar_bergmans_greatest_scene
.html
Personally I had a hard time with his films...I loved the look and
many of the cinematography elements...but the story lines and general
flow were...uhh...hard to grasp or remain interested in.
Still...another great one passes on.
I looked at his list of works, but I'm not really familiar with any of
them. I saw the remake of "The Seventh Seal", but I can't remember ever
seeing the original.
--
Remove YourHeadFromYourAss to Reply by email
________ ____
Hear My Music http://www.soundclick.com/ThePseudonyms
Papanate
2007-07-30 17:52:56 UTC
Post by Glennbo
I looked at his list of works, but I'm not really familiar with any of
them. I saw the remake of "The Seventh Seal", but I can't remember ever
seeing the original.
I seriously doubt we will be seeing any films...many American's have an
aversion to reading them foreign words translated at the bottom.

OTOH 'Seventh Seal' was shown at a little independent theater up in
Chapel Hill last year and it sold out for 4 days.

The real issue for me is it takes a lot of my brain power to digest the
level of information Bergman presents in 2 hours in a meaningful way.
Much is quite complicated, and steeped in the lore of Bergman's personal
life and pursuits.

PapaNate
Ben Goldman
2007-07-30 18:16:47 UTC
Post by Papanate
Post by Glennbo
I looked at his list of works, but I'm not really familiar with any of
them. I saw the remake of "The Seventh Seal", but I can't remember ever
seeing the original.
I seriously doubt we will be seeing any films...many American's have an
aversion to reading them foreign words translated at the bottom.
A lot do. It never bothers me. Except if I'm trying do do something
else while following the movie with ears.
Post by Papanate
OTOH 'Seventh Seal' was shown at a little independent theater up in
Chapel Hill last year and it sold out for 4 days.
The real issue for me is it takes a lot of my brain power to digest the
level of information Bergman presents in 2 hours in a meaningful way.
Much is quite complicated, and steeped in the lore of Bergman's personal
life and pursuits.
Deep stuff. I grew up watching Ingmar Bergman films. My mom looks like
Bergman, by the way. That's INGRID Bergman of course! :)
--
Cheers,
Ben
Organ Freak
2007-07-30 20:14:00 UTC
Post by Papanate
One of the truly original filmmakers of our generation has passed away
today.
http://www.mercurynews.com/nationworld/ci_6498248
Here is a small filmography of some of his best known works.
http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/film/2007/07/ingmar_bergmans_greatest_scene.html
Personally I had a hard time with his films...I loved the look and many
of the cinematography elements...but the story lines and general flow
were...uhh...hard to grasp or remain interested in.
Still...another great one passes on.
Being a person who looks through the glass darkly, I loved his movies. With
Bergman, story was secondary to mood. And later movies were widely available
with English sound tracks. If you can handle the subtitles and the tears you
might shed, "Wild Strawberries" is a great movie. An old fart looks back on his
life and regrets what an asshole he was to everyone.

"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its
limits." -Albert Einstein
Papanate
2007-07-30 20:54:33 UTC
Post by Organ Freak
Being a person who looks through the glass darkly, I loved his movies. With
Bergman, story was secondary to mood.
Yes...yes...mood. Oppressive at times...and then sometimes I thought he
was having us on...like the opening of Seventh Seal...where Death comes
up and is challenged to Chess by the man he came to collect.

I never knew it wasn't suppose to be funny until I saw the whole thing
paraphrased in *The Meaning of Life*.
Post by Organ Freak
And later movies were widely available
with English sound tracks. If you can handle the subtitles and the >tears you
might shed, "Wild Strawberries" is a great movie. An old fart looks >back on his
life and regrets what an asshole he was to everyone.
A couple of things...difficult is not meant to imply problems with the
subtitles...I like subtitles..I think they add flavor and interest. It
also helps when trying to learn the difficult language of my ancestors.

Second I agree about "Wild Strawberries". I think the word *enjoy* is
situated wrong for the feeling I had watching it...but...well I don't
know...I enjoyed it.
--
Papanate

*He said, "Why was I put on this Earth?"
*I said, "My friend, anywhere else you wouldn't stand a chance."